Let MP3Val Fix Your Mysteriously Unplayable Music in iTunes

I ran into a problem that you’ve probably had also if you’re an iTunes user.  I was trying to find a background track for a slideshow presentation and picking out songs in iTunes to play.  However, a bunch of songs just would not play.  No warning, no error message, no nothing.  The files, which were mp3’s, played fine in Windows Media Player, so the files were apparently fine.

I did a little searching and found a bunch of others with the same problem, which seems worst in iTunes 9.  Lots of folks offered suggestions, but only one worked, and that was a little freeware program called MP3val.

From Sourceforge:

MP3val is a small, high-speed tool for MPEG audio files validation and (optionally) fixing problems. It was primarily designed for verification of MPEG 1 Layer III (MP3) files, but supports also other MPEG versions and layers.

And I can attest that it worked fantastically.  It found lots of problems in my about 20 gigs of music, mostly bad streaming information, and when I told it to fix it about 99% were fixed.  Some of the problems were on files that played fine, while the other 1% that it couldn’t “fix” seemed fine as well.  I don’t know if these were false positives, but in any case the tunes I needed were there and playable.

Simple, free, and effective – can’t top that!

Advertisements

Posted on April 15, 2010, in software and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: